Upstate NY is your answer to “What’s Next?” Explore the possibilities for a career that suits your lifestyle.
The Kelberman Center
The Special Education Teacher is responsible to see that each child’s IEP is carried out, take part in interdisciplinary team meetings, oversee classroom aides and assistants, compile reports and statistics, maintain supplies and participate in Kelberman activities.
Activities include but are not limited to the following:
· Plan, coordinate and implement the educational program for each child (IEP).
· Function as a contributing member of each child’s interdisciplinary team and represent the team at CSE meetings, as required.
· Effectively oversee teacher aides, interns, students, and volunteers on all activities for program success.
· Compile all reports and statistics required Kelberman, NYS Education Department, funding and referral agencies and others as may be required.
· Order supplies and equipment.
· Participate in activities that may include meetings, trainings and committees, and special projects.
· Establish a work environment that creates positive communication and support between supervisors and employees and applicants.
· Assimilate new employees to Kelberman’s culture, values, and mission.
· Ensure compliance with all pertinent government and agency regulations and operating standards.
· Performs other related duties as assigned.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
· Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to manage sensitive and confidential situations with tact, professionalism, and diplomacy.
· Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
· Excellent time management skills with proven ability to meet deadlines.
· Ability to comprehend, interpret, and apply the appropriate sections of applicable laws, guidelines, regulations, ordinances, and policies.
· Demonstrated proficiency in the areas of quality assurance, fiscal management and regulatory compliance of programs and services for persons with significant development and/or healthcare needs.
· Ability to remain tactful, calm, and persuasive in controversial and/or confrontational situations.
· Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related Software.
· Applies and actively shares knowledge, expertise, and best practices with team.
· Behavior supports the mission, core values and objectives of Kelberman.
· Displays flexibility and openness in daily work and encourages others to stay open to change and improvement.
· Accepts and readily adapts to changing priorities, new ideas, strategies, procedures, and methods.
· Presents well-considered alternatives when making recommendations.
· Represents Kelberman by displaying a respectful and caring manner.
· Addresses all concerns in a timely and efficient manner and reports any complaints to their immediate supervisor.
· Complies with quality assurance, OSHA, HIPAA, infection control, safety and other policies set forth.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
· Current Professional New York State Teacher Certification in students with disabilities for the appropriate age group being taught or a current Permanent New York State Teacher Certification in Special Education.
· Initial TB test and physical required prior to first day of employment
· Must have a valid New York State Driver’s License travel is required.
· This position does have regular and substantial unsupervised or unrestricted physical contact with individuals receiving services and is required by law to be fingerprinted for a criminal history record check under OCFS (Office of Children and Family Services) and in coordination with the regulations of the NYS Justice Center.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Minimal risk of chemicals used in cleaning. Job related tasks do involve exposure to blood, body fluids, or tissue, or spills or splashes from these substances, but exposure or potential exposure may be required as a condition of employment. May have exposure to unpredictable individuals and situations when working at Kelberman sites. OSHA Exposure Category I.
· Certain deadlines and unanticipated developments may require work during evenings, weekends.
· Ability to quickly address any emergent issues without losing focus on task at hand.
· The employee must have full sight and hearing with fluency in the English language. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear.
· The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, and sit. Must be able to sit for long periods of time.
· Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a copy machine, scanner, computer printer, etc.
· Must have the ability to lift 60 pounds at a time.
· Ability to handle stressful and unpredictable situations.
· The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position without compromising workflow and efficiency.Position Requirements
Must have full sight and hearing with fluency in the English language. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position without compromising work-flow and efficiency.
May have to lift up to 60 lbs. and maybe exposed to hazardous health conditions and / or verbal or physical aggression as well as provide direct care of consumers requiring visual and auditory monitoring, as well as direct hygienic care of consumers.
Ability to meet the physical requirements of the specific job.
WORK CONTACT GROUP:
All staff, individuals at sites, visitors, family members, vendors, various regulatory and professional agencies.
SUPERVISED BY: Director of Early Childhood ServicesFull-Time/Part-Time Full-Time Position Special Education Teacher Exempt/Non-Exempt Exempt Hiring Manager(s) Heather Arcuri Location Promise at Apple Tree About the Organization The Kelberman Center is the leading provider of autism services for children, adults and families in the Mohawk Valley and Central New York.
This position is currently accepting applications.